[Spambayes] The database question that would not die

Neale Pickett neale@woozle.org
Mon Dec 2 04:58:22 2002

So then, Richie Hindle <richie@entrian.com> is all like:

> I've tried using bsddb3 on Windows, and the results are encouraging.

Neato.  This seems consistent with my experience.  I've been
recommending that people using the pop3proxy and hammiesrv (all 1 of
them <0.2 wink>) use the pickle because it will be faster in all cases
than the dbm.  The dbm win comes into play with hammiefilter training or
scoring one message at a time, and then the win is huge.

> Close enough on all counts, I'd say (and the startup time will be a
> bigger and bigger win as the database grows).  Small savings in time
> and space for some operations aren't worth the hassle of having two
> formats, IMHO.

While Tim S's storage class makes having two formats much easier, it
would be nice if a pop3proxy database could be used by hammiefilter
without having to change a configuration file.

I can't think of a good reason not to drop pickle, but I think we should
wait to see what Tim Peters thinks about it.  I've only ever used the
pickle when testing new code, to see if it works with both storage
formats.

Neale