[Spambayes] Re: Outlook addin: Removing the tray icon

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Fri Dec 6 16:25:16 2002

"Peter Arnold" <petera@intrinsica.co.uk> writes:

> It's always bugged me that Outlook leaves the New Mail icon in the
> system tray after a rule or addin has moved or deleted all the newly
> arrived e-mail.

Isn't that just because the movement itself does not make the message
unread?  At least on my system (others experience may vary), the new
mail icon behaves pretty consistently - if I have an unread/new
message (in any of my folders on any message store) it'll show up when
the first such message appears in the system.  I have occasionally
gotten confused when an automatic rule had moved a new message into a
sub-folder that I didn't have expanded in my folder list so it was
sort of a hunt to locate that new message.  But once the last message
is marked read the icon goes away.

> I'm a bit bamboozled where to put it in the actual addin code so I'm
> hoping someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to do that.  I
> imagine it should be invoked after scanning all new e-mail in the inbox
> and determining that all of it was spam.

It would seem to me to be cleaner if we just considered adding an
option to the addin to mark messages it moved as read (probably two
choices - one for the spam and one for the maybe spam), which should
accomplish the same thing with respect to the icon but let Outlook
itself take care of it following it's normal rules.

I know that at the moment pretty much the only thing I'm doing with
the spam folder contents is selecting all the messages that were moved
into it by the addin, and marking them as read (since I'm still saving
them for future retrainings).  So the option to mark them read
automatically might be attractive.  A downside is that it would be
harder to notice just which messages were recently moved there, but if
you just make semi-regular scans of the folder that's probably minor.

-- David