[Spambayes] Outlook addin: Removing the tray icon

T. Alexander Popiel popiel at wolfskeep.com
Fri Dec 6 16:37:24 2002

In message:  <LNBBLJKPBEHFEDALKOLCGECPDBAB.tim.one@comcast.net>
             Tim Peters <tim.one@comcast.net> writes:

>I have to say I've always ignored the New Mail icon,
>and could never figure out what it thought it was trying to tell me -- it
>seems to appear and disappear at random.  If someone invested a year in
>figuring out what it's doing, it would be a shame if installing *this* code
>ruined their hard-won mental model <wink>.

Turning off a few options (like the mail preview pane, which is
a security risk anyway) makes the behaviour much more obvious:

  The new mail icon appears whenever new mail arrives, and the
  Outlook client is running.

  The new mail icon disappears whenever any message which had
  been unread gets marked as read, or the Outlook client exits.

Note that being shown in the preview pane is often enough to
get a message marked as read, so under some options configurations
merely bringing the Outlook window to the foreground when the
current message is a new message (due to the folder being
previously empty or the click to raise the window also selecting
a new message or somesuch) is enough to (apparently inconsistently)
make the new mail icon disappear.

- Alex (who suffers with Outlook at work)