[Spambayes] Cute spam trick

Sun Dec 15 21:49:14 EST 2002

12/15/2002 6:40:39 PM, Derek Simkowiak <dereks@itsite.com> wrote:

>>     Let the Len<!--yczvHV-->ders <br>
>
>> [...] Our tokenizer does strip HTML comments, but replaces each with a
>> blank, so the spammy words remain broken up.
>>
>> I'll fix that.
>
>	Pretend I'm a spammer.

>	(I.e., not just comments, but valid HTML tags too.)
>
>	For that matter, since unrecognized tags are ignored by browsers,
>it could be:

>	Hell, it wouldn't even need too look like HTML:

>	I haven't followed the discussions on HTML handling, but given
>this latest cute trick this other stuff can't be far away.

Right, but our current tokenizer would currently defeat all of these.  It
would have defeated Tim's example, except that in the case of a stripped
comment, it replaced it with a blank.  This is a great example of how the
efforts of teams like ours are already forcing spammers into more and more
convoluted behaviors, which will make their mail even more readily
recognizable!  - TimS