[Spambayes] Two Stage Plan

T. Alexander Popiel popiel at wolfskeep.com
Wed Dec 18 10:19:22 EST 2002

In message:  <BA25D61A.1AE63%grobinson@transpose.com>
             Gary Robinson <grobinson@transpose.com> writes:

>Again, there is a natural reluctance to all get behind one solution.
>
>But you know what? We don't have a choice.
>
>Microsoft will choose a solution and all Microsoft users will use it. And
>because Microsoft has enough umph, that solution will work very well for
>those users.
>
>Yes, if you buy Windows, you will have your spam problem solved to a great
>degree.

I don't buy that.  Either the product or the argument. ;-)

Given that spam mutates at a measurable rate (with filters seeming
to degrade after about 3 to 6 months), to make such a solution work,
Microsoft would have to provide updates regularly and people would
have to accept those updates regularly.  This could either be as
product upgrades (which people are already complaining about) or
through a subscription service (which people are leery of).

If you were to claim that people using MSN would have their spam
problem solved, then I might be able to believe that.  However, that's
a lot less than the 80-90% of users needed to make it the Generally
Accepted Way (One True Way's little brother)... and as such, it
would have to interoperate with other schemes.

- Alex