[Spambayes] Email client integration -- what's needed?

Tim@mail.powweb.com Tim@mail.powweb.com
Fri Nov 1 00:07:10 2002

There is considerable discussion in the original papers as to the usefulness of Spambayes not only for filtering spam, but also for altering the behavior of
spammers.  This second consideration is actually much more powerful than the first.  If spam can be successfully dealt with, in a way that allows evolution as
spammers evolve, then eventually spammers will be so restricted that their activities will not be profitable.  THIS is the real goal.  So, to that end, we must
make Spambayes useful to a huge audience.  That means the windoze platform (cough hack gag).

Direct delivery users are almost invariably the creme-de-le-creme of users.  They will know how to wire Spambayes into their world, almost instinctively.  But
the people that we need to have using this product (because there are SO many of 'em) are the type who might actually have trouble configuring a
pop3proxy... a simply braindead installation is required.

So... unless we want this to simply be interesting research, we gotta take it to the masses....

10/31/2002 5:51:45 PM, "T. Alexander Popiel" <popiel@wolfskeep.com> wrote:

>In message:  <SRMJLJVPA8WQQ43874XEC51RQ1USNZX.3dc1bcb9@riven>
>             Tim Stone Four Stones Forum <tim@fourstonesforum.com> writes:
>>But can it be useful to the masses?  The pop3proxy is the right way to go
>>in my opinion.
>You folks make me feel like such a fuddy-duddy, still using MH
>from a shell account with the mailboxes fetched through the
>filesystem, instead of through some network mailbox protocol...
>Heck, I don't even have software to access a POP mailbox installed...
>I guess that raises the question: what is our target audience,
>and how strictly do we want to cater to them?  Do we want to
>offer support for processing in direct-delivery situations,
>even though it's only old-school fuddy-duddies like myself
>who use them, anymore?
>- Alex
- Tim