[Spambayes] Email client integration -- what's needed?

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Fri Nov 1 03:30:16 2002

    Tim> Well you're talkin to a Notes user with a HUGE spam problem...

I take it Notes is responsible for screwing up your return address... ;-)

    Tim> So I propose we enable Outlook, Mozilla (for our OS brethren, which
    Tim> will likely get Netscape, too), have a pop3proxy that can be run
    Tim> locally and easily configured to be used by a number of "noise"
    Tim> mailers, and go from there...

Like all things open source, what gets implemented depends on who has an
itch that needs scratching.  Outlook was an obvious early choice, not
primarily because of its market share, but because Mark Hammond is an expert
in the area of Python/Windows integration and Tim happens to use Outlook as
his mail reader.  Mark couldn't have asked for a better beta tester.

Mozilla will happen when someone who uses Mozilla wants/needs it.

One thing to consider about mail programs is that outside the realm of
people whose software toolchest is dictated to them (generally corporate
types), most folks probably find something that works and then stick with it
until there is an overwhelming reason to change.  I have a MacOSX laptop now
but still use XEmacs+VM to read mail with a peculiar method of getting mail
off my server.  It took me a fair amount of time to decide to switch from
rmail to VM many years ago.  There are lots of reasons for this sort of
inertia, but I think it's generally dominated by familiarity with the user
interface, (perceived) difficulty converting mailboxes, and fear that new
tools won't be as stable.

So, go right ahead, solve the Notes integration problem.  We're here to lend
moral support.  ;-)

Skip