[Spambayes] SMTP proxy

Tim@mail.powweb.com Tim@mail.powweb.com
Sat Nov 2 22:48:21 2002

Ok, I have a ***very*** rudimentary SMTP proxy for the purpose of training a spambayes database from mailers like the mozilla mailer, which keeps mail in a
single file, and gives you very little facility for extracting individual mails.

The proxy is based on code from Lee Smithson (http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=31674), and requires the DNS module (http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?
group_id=31674).

You run the proxy, naming the port you want it to listen on.  Then you point your mailer to localhost:<port>.  You're all set at that point.  I haven't tested it very
much, and it doesn't appear to handle error conditions particularly well (at all).

To train, simply forward or redirect a mail to spam@localspambayes.trn or to ham@localspambayes.trn (these addresses are hardcoded at the moment...)  The
proxy recognizes these addresses and executes a learn and updates probabilities in a database that's named as an argument when the proxy is started up.  I'm
assuming that update probabilities preserves the existing information in the database... I couldn't tell if this was the case from neiltrain.py.  If not, then this stuff
won't work yet...

So, now my question is does the project want this stuff?  If so, where should I send it?

- Tim
www.fourstonesExpressions.com