[Spambayes] Spam at hackers conference

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Sun Nov 3 04:23:47 2002

    >> - Combining different approaches (e.g. blacklists, whitelists,
    >> Bayesian) seems to make people more comfortable.

    Tim> I doubt a blacklist is going to be worth the bother with this
    Tim> scheme, but a whitelist may be.

I doubt it.  There is just too much email spoofing going on to trust any
addresses that absolutely.  When using SA, I rarely used its whitelist
facility, and only for odd email addresses whose automailings it always
classified as spam.  For instance, I get a bit of mail from American
Airlines letting me know when the airfare between Chicago and Albany
changes.  As you might imagine, it's very spammy looking.  The only way I
could convince SA to leave it alone was to whitelist it.  With Spambayes,
it's never a problem.

Skip