[Spambayes] Email client integration -- what's needed?

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sun Nov 3 08:12:00 2002

[Jeremy Hylton, on the Folder parts of MarkH's training interface\
> This part of the code doesn't work that well for my mail folders.  The
> code to move messages from folder to folder needs to be written in
> elisp.  I'm not sure how important that is.

Whatever a general-purpose training class may look like, it seems to need
two concepts:  "a msg", and "a collection of msgs", the latter to remember,
e.g., which msgs have been trained as ham, and which as spam.  Mark views
collections as folders because that's actually how they're set up in the
Outlook client, but a "virtual folder" makes sense too.  In your case you
may have just two folders, Ham and Spam, which exist only in cyberspace, as
a way for the training class to keep track of the state of your training.
Mark's MoveTo() is then just a way to record the classification a msg should
have.

>             # It's important not to commit a transaction until
>             # after update_probabilities is called in update().
>             # Otherwise some new entries will cause scoring to fail.

I'm not sure what that's about, but I probably fixed it late last week
(Outlook has lots of threads, and it was possible there for scoring to occur
in parallel with training; WordInfo records are now created with the
unknown-word spamprob by default instead of with None, so that an attempt to
score a brand-new word is effectively ignored instead of raising an
exception).