[Spambayes] Email client integration -- what's needed?

Richie Hindle richie@entrian.com
Sun Nov 3 16:41:59 2002

Hi Toby,

> Forwarding to spam@ or ham@ has some disadvantages because the forwarding
> process destroys some information. Most mail clients dont forward headers.

The inbound part (pop3proxy, hammie, the Outlook stuff, whatever) could
cache the messages, then the SMTP proxy could compare the forwarded
messages with the cache (somehow - there'd be no Message-Id to compare) to
find the original to train against.

You're right - losing headers will make a difference, even with the fairly
minimal header tokenising we currently do.  When I added the Unsure
classification to pop3proxy, I tested it by forwarding a bunch of spams to
myself and they all came out Unsure where they had been Yes before - at
first I thought it was a bug, but then a couple of genuine spams rolled in
and were classified correctly.

--
Richie Hindle
richie@entrian.com