[Spambayes] Email client integration -- what's needed?

Sean True seant@iname.com
Mon Nov 4 01:00:35 2002

> it would seem to me that instead of trying to cram these message store
> capabilities into a protocol that just doesn't support it (POP3), why
> not use a protocol that does (IMAP4)?
>
> i'd suggest writing a simple IMAP 'proxy' (possibly single-user) that
> retrieves messages from a 'real' mail server via POP3, scans the
> incoming messages, classifies them, then puts them in the corresponding
> folders. the IMAP server can then reclassify/retrain on the messages
> when they are moved between folders (just as the outlook plugin does).

I like this idea, with one significant reservation -- I'm now trusting an
external IMAP mail store with my mail, all 2 GB of it. That makes me queasy,
little, and underlines the problematic of implementing a mail store, instead
of just
an MTA.

-- Sean