[Spambayes] My first results with pop3proxy and smtpproxy

Tim@mail.powweb.com Tim@mail.powweb.com
Mon Nov 4 19:08:48 2002

I've trained using the smtpproxy and a few dozen spams that I hadn't
deleted and hadn't been contaminated by SA before I got involved with
spambayes (basically SA mistakes).  Even given the small size of the
corpus, it is doing an amazingly great job classifying inbound mail.
It even correctly classified one of those "here's another funny
story" infernal mails that gets forwarded three hundred times, and I
hadn't trained it on anything like that.  I have to say that a corpus
of thousands really isn't turning out to be a necessity for spambayes
to be useful to me.

One other observation... my strong tendency *IS* to train this thing
only when it makes a mistake.  Skip et.al. has warned boucoup times
about not doing this... train on a reasonable smattering of both, even
if they're correctly classified, and train often.  **BUT** if this is
my tendency and I understand the system, then this will likely be a
real problem when the masses get started using it.  How to ensure that
mistakes only training isn't the norm?  Beats me.  But we've either
gotta figure out how to make sure that the teeming masses don't make
this error, or we've gotta figure out how to make the system tolerate
this error reasonably well.

- Tim
www.fourstonesExpressions.com