[Spambayes] deployment for mailman lists

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon Nov 4 21:06:41 2002

>     Guido> - An obvious default policy with tunable parameters presents
>     Guido>   itself: ham goes to the list, spam is dropped (or
>     Guido>   bounced), and unsure goes into the moderator's queue.
>
> I would argue that spam should by default go into the moderator's
> queue as well.  The default should never be to drop or bounce a
> message.  Either way, you run the risk that legitimate mail gets
> lost.

For most mailing lists, I disagree.  It's not like you're going to
miss an important message from your boss or from a potential customer
or employer when a false positive is bounced from the
dangerous-hobbies-involving-jello list.

Given the amount of spam that most lists get, and the clumsiness (I
believe Barry agrees with this assessment :-) of the Mailman
moderation API, putting all spam in the moderation queue by default
would be a bad idea.  I agree that it should be possible to configure
it this way if you really want, but I don't think it should be the
default.