[Spambayes] Outlook plugin - training

Moore, Paul Paul.Moore@atosorigin.com
Wed Nov 6 12:00:56 2002

From: Piers Haken [mailto:piersh@friskit.com]

> I don't believe you need this. I think that the classifier
> automatically trains on messages as they arrive (or at least on
> messages that it's sure about). You only need to retrain if it
> has made a mistake, or if it's unsure.

If it does, it doesn't update the "Database has XXX good and XXX
spam" information in the manager dialog (at least not in all
cases) - I just got a correctly classified spam, and the reported
number of spams in the database hadn't changed.

But I'd be happy if it does train on what it classifies - then
all I do is correct any mistakes.

What does it do about "Potential Spam"? Train as if it were spam,
and then correct its assumption when I move it back to the inbox?
That probably makes most sense, given that the "Potential Spam"
folder gets a "Recover from Spam" button, rather than a "Delete
as spam" one.

Paul.

PS In case it's not obvious, I'll summarise what I've learnt once
   I get to grips with all of this. Hopefully, a summary would be
   useful for the documentation...