[Spambayes] Outlook plugin - training

Moore, Paul Paul.Moore@atosorigin.com
Thu Nov 7 11:01:14 2002

> It's too late to think this through right now. I'll ponder some more
> in the morning...

Some post-ponder musings...

I'm assuming (based on a message I recall seeing recently) that it's
possible to "correct" training - ie, if I train the classifier that a
specific message is spam, I can later say "no it isn't, it's ham".

Assuming that this is so, is it not reasonable to train dynamically
on an "assume I got it right" basis? In other words, whenever the
addin filters a message as ham or spam, automatically train on that
basis as well. Then, if the user sees a mistake, he corrects it, which
automatically retrains the classifier (manually deleting as spam or
moving a message already does this).

This will keep the database right up to date, and all the user has to
do is correct any bad decisions the classifier makes (which he should
be doing anyway).

I've ignored database growth issues, but other than that, is there any
other problem with this approach?

Paul.