[Spambayes] Upgrade problem

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Thu Nov 7 16:01:12 2002

Just van Rossum wrote:

> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
> > Long ago, we settled for Python 2.2 (some people wanted 2.1, but that
> > was unbearable).  If you see violations of 2.2 compatibility, please
> > supply patches (we'll also gladly give you checkin permission).
> >
> > (If it makes a difference, I'd prefer aiming for 2.2 compatibility
> > over 2.2.2 compatibility, since 2.2 is probably what comes with MacOS
> > 10.2.  Unless it gets too ugly.)
>
> The docs say 2.2.1 and that's correct: the code is littered with True
> and False. Those are the only 2.2.1-isms I've seen. But a patch would
> nevertheless be quite big.

I just did a quick test with 2.2 (adding True and False to __builtins__ ;-), and
the only other 2.2.1-ism is bool(), which is only used in Options.py. After
fixing that everything seems to work just fine.

I'd be happy to add a this

try:
    True, False
except NameError:
    True, False = 1, 0

to a bunch of files, and patch the docs.

Your call. My sf username is "jvr" ;-)

Just