[Spambayes] SMTP proxy questions

Brad Morgan B-Morgan@concentric.net
Fri Nov 8 06:25:30 2002

As I see it, having pop3proxy keep copies of the messages and using an HTML
UI for training has the least amount of dependancy on the email client's
forwarding capabilities (or lack thereof).

I have a severe aversion to opening spam that will probably carry over to
unsure messages, so having a link added to the message body may not do me
much good.

I will, however, go to an HTML UI and examine a message if that UI doesn't
"execute" the HTML.  I don't want to see pretty, raw data is good enough for
me to decide.

I hate to keep mentioning a "rival" project <G>, but popfile's UI seems
pretty close to what I think would work best here.

Regards,

Brad

-----Original Message-----
From: spambayes-bounces@python.org
[mailto:spambayes-bounces@python.org]On Behalf Of Richie Hindle
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 5:17 PM
To: spambayes@python.org
Subject: [Spambayes] SMTP proxy questions

[Me]
> Also on my list is to commit Tim Stone's SMTP proxy code, possibly after
> integrating it with the pop3proxy (but I need to discuss that with you,
> Tim, after looking in more detail at the code, hopefully tonight).

I've discussed this with Tim S, and he's going off the SMTP proxy idea
while I'm still broadly in favour of it.  What do people think - do
non-Outlook users want to forward messages to 'spam' and 'ham' to train the
system, or use an HTML UI?

The most difficult problem for retraining-by-forwarding is matching the
forwarded message to one from the cache, after Outlook Express has stripped
the headers, top-quoted the users .sig, converted it to HTML and added
fifteen macro viruses.  Any ideas?  Can the tokeniser help?

Or perhaps there's another way.  The only other option I'd thought of was
to add two hyperlinks to the end of the message, "This is spam" and "This
is ham" (in ways that would work for both HTML and plain-text messages, in
both HTML and plain-text email clients).  They'd link to the HTML interface
and tell it the cache ID of the message.  Adding content to emails is way
more intrusive (and difficult) than adding headers.  But no more intrusive
than the .sig that mailman adds.

--
Richie Hindle
richie@entrian.com