[Spambayes] Re: Outlook plugin plus Exchange

David Leftley spambayes@djl.freeuk.com
Mon Nov 11 23:54:27 2002

On 11 Nov 2002 17:28:01 -0500, David Bolen <db3l@fitlinxx.com> wrote:
>I'm based on an Exchange server, and yes, the behavior is the same -
>no events fire.  I think Mark's in-progress approach of scanning for
>unread and unscanned messages on startup is reasonable.

With Exchange, though, it's not just on startup that the plugin
doesn't notice new messages. I've only been playing with it for a
couple of days, so I'm still not exactly sure in which circumstances
it fails, but here's what I observed from today's mail:

External e-mail was in every case processed immediately on arrival by
the plugin.

Internal e-mail (i.e. sent through Exchange) is never picked up
immediately by the plugin.
- In some cases these messages were classified when the next e-mail
(whether external or internal) arrived. When this happened, the first
message was also (annoyingly) marked as unread when it was classified.
- in another case, the plugin classified an e-mail when I went to my
Calendar and opened the details of an existing (from before I
installed the plugin) meeting.
- I replied to a couple of e-mails before further messages came in.
The plugin never got around to classifying those messages.

And, while I'm reporting the quirks of the Outlook plugin, I have 3
messages (out of my spam corpus of c. 2000) that the plugin refuses to
classify. If I attempt to score the contents of a folder containing
one of these messages, scoring simply stops at that point - the
progress bar disappears, and the remaining messages are left unscored.

Apart from those little things, though, this software rocks! Keep up
the good work, guys!

David.