[Spambayes] Exchange integration

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Tue Nov 12 05:10:50 2002

> At first, I thought I'd use the Event service, but in 5.5 it's
> async and MS even says "don't
> use this to filter all your messages".

It appears the best way is to hook the message spooler, as per
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/mapi/html/_
mapi1book_using_message_filtering_to_manage_messages.asp

and I believe that this can be configured to run on the client or an
exchange server.

> So it looks like I need to create some kind of MAPI hook or
> preprocessor or mailbox
> assistant.. I'm not sure which.
>
> Anyone know? And, can I do this all in Python via COM or do I
> need some "real C to
> hook in?

Python's MAPI support doesn't extend to this yet, but I would be happy to
help make it so.

eeek - except I also find in Q224362: SAMPLE: Hook.exe MAPI Spooler Hook
Provider Sample (C++)
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q224362)
"""
Other Notes
Note that Hook Providers, including this one, will not work when using the
Microsoft Exchange Transport Provider. This is a result of Exchange's
tightly-coupled store and transport (that is, they bypass the MAPI spooler).

If you use Exchange's POP/SMTP/IMAP abilities, the spooler hook will
function just fine
"""

KB article Q190413
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q190413) discusses
this a little more in the context of public exchange folders, but still
leaves me somewhat confused.  The documentation for IMAPIAdviseSink
certainly implies it can be used for all kinds of new mail notifications.
We may be forced to "suck it and see" :(

Mark.