[Spambayes] Impersonation

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue Nov 12 12:55:17 2002

More and more spam is impersonating real people rather than making up
phoney AOL addresses.  I just received a bounce quoting the following
spam:

> From: guido@python.org
> To: clevelandindians@flash.net
> Subject: 1hi29895
> Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 15:42:40 -0500
>
> g45,
>
> Do you own a Business?
>
>  <http://www.best-cyber-deals.com/1/> Do you need a Web Site?  Let Us Design
> it.
>
> We can Design a Web Site that's perfect for you.
>
> feedback@cdsymas.com h6

Surely this is copied from successful viruses.  My wife startled me
this weekend by telling me she couldn't run the virus protection
program I had sent her.  Of course, I had done no such thing.  It was
a Klez virus variant that disguises itself as a virus protection tool.
The computer of a mutual friend must have been infected. :-(

This shows how careful we have to be with whitelists...