[Spambayes] Seeking a giant idle machine w/ a miserable corpus

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn@whidbey.com
Sun Nov 17 00:22:47 2002

I've been meaning to ask, what do "real cost" and "best cost" actually mean?
I've seen you guys "spend" several million dollars while testing, and if it
"costs" that much to test for spam in this way, I'm going to have a heck of a
time marking it up and selling it to customers!

Van

Tim Peters wrote:

> One more in this round; bi21 is 2M hash buckets but limited to unigrams and
> bigrams (no trigrams):
>
> filename:       cv   tri21    bi21
> ham:spam:  20000:14000     20000:14000
>                    20000:14000
> fp total:        3       0       0
> fp %:         0.01    0.00    0.00
> fn total:        0       2       0
> fn %:         0.00    0.01    0.00
> unsure t:       91     854     300
> unsure %:     0.27    2.51    0.88
> real cost:  $48.20 $172.80  $60.00
> best cost:  $17.80  $38.60  $23.20
> h mean:       0.24    0.38    0.25
> h sdev:       2.73    3.00    2.61
> s mean:      99.95   97.89   99.41
> s sdev:       1.40    9.12    4.67
> mean diff:   99.71   97.51   99.16
> k:           24.14    8.05   13.62
>
> My guess is that it's more likely bigrams benefited from suffering fewer
> unfortunate hash collisions than that they're actually generating better raw
> info.
>
> The "missing test" here is exact bigrams (no hash convolutions).  I'll try
> that later; may not have enough RAM for that, but should.

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted@whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,