[Spambayes] Just for fun

Neale Pickett neale@woozle.org
Mon Nov 18 17:18:37 2002

So then, Matt Sergeant <msergeant@startechgroup.co.uk> is all like:

> This is the same as TMDA. I have evidence for you that it doesn't
> work. Case in point being direct from me: someone mailed me asking a
> technical question about one of my perl modules. I mailed him back a
> response, on my own free time. I got a TMDA bounce saying I had to
> confirm that I was a real person. Well frankly, sod that. I never
> replied. I never used his web page to confirm. I just ignored it and I'm
> sure he never got the reply to his question.

I seem to recall about five or so years back, some guy asked a question
on comp.lang.python, and his email address was something like
"bob@nospam.sittingduck.com".  Then some guy named "Guido" replied to
the question with a very good answer, but the reply bounced because of
the "nospam." part.  The "Guido" chap declared that he wasn't inclined
to jump through hoops for the privilege of answering the guy's question.

That guy never got his question answered either, and I don't imagine
Guido has changed his stance since then.  It may seem like a good idea
at first, but you ignore mail at your peril.  Other people are busy
enough with their own spam problems, don't make them responsible for
yours too.

Neale