[Spambayes] Offtopic - getting bounce messages for spam

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Tue Nov 19 19:42:25 2002

    Paul> I've just started receiving undeliverable message reports for
    Paul> spam, sent to people I've never heard of.

I awoke this morning to 350+ such messages in my unsure mailbox.  All but a
couple were bounces, like you said, for email addresses I didn't know.  I
scanned a few to see what they were, trained on a few, then modified an
Emacs macro I use for bulk deletion of this sort of stuff.  Having it sniff
for "wipe out your credit card debt" and "yahoo.co.jp.webhosting_hotpicks"
seemed to catch all of them.

    Paul> a) Is this something I should worry about (am I likely to end up
    Paul>    on blacklists or the like)?

I don't know.  As far as I know that hasn't happened to mail.mojam.com.

    Paul> b) What can I do about it in any case?

Besides train on enough of them so they are reliably caught as spam, I
suspect there's little you can do.

Skip