[Spambayes] Outlook weirdness

Brad Morgan B-Morgan@concentric.net
Wed Nov 20 15:08:46 2002

Outlook (Internet-only) has been occasionally "hanging around" on me long
before I tried any sort of spam filtering.  Sometimes it hangs around
collecting messages, sometimes it just prevents another version from
starting up.

I haven't found any pattern to the unsuccessful shutdowns and Microsoft
certianly hasn't either for all the patches they've put out.  IMO, its their
bug plain and simple.

Regards,

Brad

-----Original Message-----
From: spambayes-bounces@python.org
[mailto:spambayes-bounces@python.org]On Behalf Of Sean True
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 7:53 AM
To: Moore, Paul; Sean True; Piers Haken; Spambayes (E-mail)
Subject: RE: [Spambayes] Outlook weirdness

> [PAUL] Outlook has two exit options "Exit" and "Exit and log off". I've
never
> quite understood the difference, but I wonder if what you're seeing is
> related - Outlook finishing, closing down the UI, but then remaining
> for ages in the background while the addin saves the pickles and
> tidies up. This would also tie in with the high memory footprint, as
> the pickle method keeps the database in memory.

I believe that the "Exit and log off" option is Exchange specific. I don't
get that.
If no messages are trained, the database won't be dirty, and doesn't get
written.
So, that's not the likely culprit.

> Would it be worth trying the DBM format for the database? I think
> this would give faster startup/shutdown times, and lower memory
> consumption, at the expense of on-disk database size and slower
> filtering (although I doubt that this difference would be an issue).

Slower *training* would be an issue, however.

> Unfortunately, the addin doesn't hook into the main code's persistence
> structure (as far as I can see) so switching formats isn't as simple
> as just changing the INI file. I'll look into it and give it a try at
> some point.
Brave guy. Me, I'm a coward.

There are old coders, and there are bold coders --  but there are no old,
bold coders.

-- Sean