[Spambayes] Re: Outlook weirdness

David Bolen db3l@fitlinxx.com
Wed Nov 20 17:53:29 2002

"Sean True" <seant@iname.com> writes:

> I have a pretty persistent Outlook shutdown problem. I have a 6K Spam, 7K
> Ham training set,
> and an Outlook that commonly uses 40-50MB of memory. Often when I close
> Outlook, it will stay
> in memory. (Leaving an icon in the task bar, too). When I "restart" it,
> meaning, I think,
> restart the UI, I get no Spam manager icons, even though the addin is still
> running cheerfully
> and filtering.

Usually this is due to the addin generating an exception previously or
for some reason Outlook thinking it failed and doesn't want to reload.
Although the fact that you say it's still filtering is definitely at
odds with that idea - unless it never really unloaded previously.

I've found it very useful to just keep a trace window (using the
win32traceutil module) running all the time.  Technically you can pick
up existing trace messages from before you started tracing as long as
the addin is still running, but I normally just leave the trace task
running at all times.  It let's me validate that the addin is shutting
down when I think it is and starting up when I think it is or check
for issues when something seems amiss.

Note that due to COM interaction, if anything with respect to the
Outlook process remains in memory, the addin will too.  But you can
tell that in the trace window since there won't be any disconnect
indication.

-- David