[Spambayes] New web training interface for pop3proxy

Richie Hindle richie@entrian.com
Wed Nov 20 23:26:49 2002

Hi Paul,

> It's locking up for me.

Urk.  That's bad (and new - no-one's reported that before).  And this
happened when you hit the Train button, yes?

> There are no messages in the command prompt
> window - is there any way to get it to produce trace messages (looking
> at the code, the answer seems to be "no"...)?

It's "no".  8-)  Like I say, no-one's reported it locking before, and I've
never seen it.  You usually get a traceback when something goes wrong.  So
your console says something like:

BayesProxyListener listening on port 110.
UserInterfaceListener listening on port 8880.

and nothing else, and the process is still running, but you can't get a
page served to your browser?  What error message do you get from the
browser?  If it's one of those pointless IE error pages, could you try
telnetting to port 8880 and saying "GET / HTTP/1.0"?  Can you even connect
with telnet?  How about port 110?

> Do I need to rebuild the database after upgrading? I didn't, and the
> user interface said "Total emails trained: Spam: 0 Ham: 0". This
> doesn't tally with reality - I'd trained on a batch of messages (using
> hammie.py) before starting

You shouldn't need to do anything, and even if you did I'd expect it to
give an error rather than quietly failing.  Are you using a pickle or a
DBM?  In fact, could you send me your bayescustomize.ini and/or details of
the command line you're using (off-list if you prefer)?

> (BTW, adding a bulk training interface
> might be nice, although using hammie.py seems to work OK in practice).

I agree - training by uploading an mbox file is on the list.

--
Richie Hindle
richie@entrian.com