[Spambayes] New web training interface for pop3proxy

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Mon Nov 25 04:51:45 2002

[Paul Moore]
>> Hmm. I just did some tracing by using Python's trace hooks (neat
>> trick, although it does produce a lot of output...) It stops in
>> hammie.py at line 130, which is in DBDict.__setitem__ doing
>> self.hash[key] = v. That's mildly worrying, as it sort of implies that
>> the lockup is in the DBM C extension. (If any more Python code was
>> being called, I'd expect to see trace output).

[Neale Pickett]
> That *is* distressing, and does sound like a problem in the dbm code.
> I know little about that code, but if it happens again let me know and
> I'll start learning ;)

IIRC, Paul is running on Windows.  If so, and he's picking up the ancient
Berkeley 1.85 bsddb that ships with Windows Python, that's got lots of
severe problems that will never be fixed:

    http://www.sleepycat.com/historic.html

Python 2.3 will ship with a much more modern version of bsddb.  An early
taste of that can be gotten now via

    http://sf.net/projects/pybsddb/

That project is essentially getting folded into 2.3.