[Spambayes] Important information for Outlook users

Moore, Paul Paul.Moore@atosorigin.com
Mon Nov 25 11:36:50 2002

From: Mark Hammond [mailto:mhammond@skippinet.com.au]
> When you say "isn't working", you mean only the field
> display, or the whole plugin?

Basically the field display (as described) but I got an odd
message when I rescored, claiming (almost) everything was spam.
But the scores assigned didn't bear this out, so I ignored it
as a possible one-off.

> The "1 field" created via outlook is field that the plugin creates
> in an attempt to have all this work <wink>. When the plugin starts
> watching a folder, it selects the first message in the folder, and
> creates a UserDefined field called "Spam" in this message. Doing
> this should also create the field in the "Field Chooser"
>
> However, in the process of normal message scoring, Outlook itself is
> not used to set the field value. Hence you will see "1 field from
> Outlook" after the plugin has restarted.

That makes sense. But I'm not sure if it ties in with what I'm seeing.
If I run delete_outlook_field twice in succession, I get the "1 field"
both times. And Outlook wasn't running when I did this.

Wait a minute - delete_outlook_field will start Outlook via COM, which
I guess will start the addin, which...

OK, that's probably not a problem, then.

> > When I start Outlook, the field appears - with type "Combination".
> > Tried again, got type "Number". Even when I deleted and recreated
> > the field as a Percentage type, I looked again a little later and
> > it was "Number" again.
> >
> > I've reregistered the addin, rebuilt the databases, refiltered
> > everything, deleted all pyc files. Everything I can think of.
>
> In all folders you tried, or just the inbox? Does it work in the
> Spam or Maybe folders?

Same problem in all 3 folders.

> Any exceptions or unusual messages in the trace output?

None that I recall, beyond one that appeared because I forgot to
rebuild the database first time (DB format had changed, so the addin
sulked, IIRC).

As I said, no time to do much more now. I'll do a full retest of all
this tomorrow.

Paul.

PS If I could get the addin to work while Exchange was offline, it'd
   be possible to test at home. But given that *Outlook* doesn't work
   properly when offline, it's a bit unfair to expect the addin to do
   so :-)