[Spambayes] Guidance re pickles versus DB for Outlook

Sean True seant@iname.com
Tue Nov 26 13:44:08 2002

> [Neale]
> > I also suspect that the average Windows or Mac user may tolerate having
> > to install Python before they can use the Whiz-Bam-Anti-Spam tool, but
> > that said user will probably not tolerate installing Python and ZODB.
>
> Actually, I doubt this will fly.  We will need to create a
> stand-alone DLL,
> and a "one click" installer.  This should be interesting <wink>.  Good
> excuse to look at how these Python distribution tools have progressed
> recently.

I've done some limited work in this space already. Nothing usable but --
I'd reccomend anyone pursuing this to use the McMillan Installer
(http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/install1.html). I have used py2exe for other
projects, but COM support in py2exe is not as robust.

Not that I got Installer to actually build the Outlook addin, either,
but I suspect that it would be a morning's work for someone with the
inclination to tackle it.

-- Sean