[Spambayes] Re: Guidance re pickles versus DB for Outlook

Tim Stone - Four Stones Expressions tim@fourstonesExpressions.com
Tue Nov 26 21:42:03 2002

11/26/2002 3:24:02 PM, Neale Pickett <neale@woozle.org> wrote:

>So then, Tim Stone - Four Stones Expressions <tim@fourstonesExpressions.com>
is all like:

>> >I couldn't agree more.  I found myself wishing we had some when I was
>> >making all the changes.  The only code that has something approaching
>> >a test is the pop3proxy.  I'll bring that up on the list.
>>
>> Awwww... that's not quite right... FileCorpus has a fairly large test
>> harness that exercises just about everything in that side of the
>> universe...  - TimS
>
>Sorry Tim, I meant "the only code I was working with", not "the only
>code".  The FileCorpus does indeed have a nice looking unit test.

No sweat.  I knew what you were sayin.

>I also didn't realize I was mailing the whole list.  I'm losing it.
>
>So, shall we create a new directory for unit tests?  I imagine there's a
>lot of stuff to test, there being close to 100 .py files in the project
>now.  A test/test.py should be able to run every test we write, yes?

I think we should really only test the stuff that's destined for
"production."  That's a substantially smaller subset of the 100+ files.  Some
of those non-production files are testers themselves, or useful for some
aspect of algorithm research.  We could spend a LOT of time designing tests
for code that will ultimately become part of the historical archive here and
not much else.

Incidentally, I've identified the following list of files that are necessary
to run pop3proxy and a procmail filter.  This doesn't include outlook stuff,
or Jeremy's pspam stuff.

chi2.py
classifier.py
Corpus.py
dbdict.py
FileCorpus.py
hammie.py
hammiebulk.py
hammiecli.py
hammiefilter.py
hammiesrv.py
mboxutils.py
Options.py
pop3proxy.py
sets.py
storage.py
tokenizer.py

- TimS

>I've only scratched the surface of the built-in unittest module, so if
>someone has a lot of experience with that maybe they could offer up a
>suggestion as to how best to structure a unit test.
>
>Neale

c'est moi - TimS
www.fourstonesExpressions.com