[Spambayes] Re: Guidance re pickles versus DB for Outlook

T. Alexander Popiel popiel@wolfskeep.com
Tue Nov 26 22:55:19 2002

In message:  <15843.63278.932180.923883@montanaro.dyndns.org>
             Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com> writes:

>    Alex> Unfortunately, python 2.2.1 is the most recent version of python
>    Alex> packaged for debian-stable.  Requiring a version more recent than
>    Alex> that will be a hassle for many people (myself included).
>
>(I think we travelled this road before, but just in case...)

Yes, we have ( ;-) ), but just to rehash:

>Isn't it possible for you to grab and expand the 2.2.2 tar file, then
>execute
>
>    configure --prefix=$HOME/local
>    make install
>
>and then put $HOME/local/bin in front of your PATH?

Yes, it's possible, but then I have to pay more attention to upgrades
than my normal method of primarily listening to the debian security
announcement list.

For some people, the local-python-in-the-home-dir approach won't work
because they've got draconian disk quotas to contend with.

For yet other people, the local copy of python won't work because
the machine involved is not under their control and they don't
have permission to create executables.

- Alex