[Spambayes] progress on POP+VM+ZODB deployment

Anthony Baxter anthony@interlink.com.au
Mon Oct 28 05:58:50 2002

>>> Tim Peters wrote
> I think you're missing a basic point, but not due to lack of repetition
> <wink>.  Let's get real concrete.  Go to this site:
>
>     http://www.esmokes.com/
>
> I buy cigarettes from that site, and I get glitzy HTML promotional email
> from them about once a week.  I want that email.  You don't (or so I guess),
> and *any* filter trained on any spam collection on Earth is-- if it's worth
> anything at all --going to say that's spam.  I'll attach one of their emails
> for your perusal.

Something to bear in mind, though, is that a site like this is unlikely
to be a spammer. Reputable businesses don't spam often, and certainly
they don't do it twice :)

So when _other_ peddlers of Timmy's noxious habit send spam, he's
unlikely to want their particular spam. For him, the many ham-clues
from esmokes.com should outweigh the marketing-speak in their
email.

Something I've been working on over the last week is the notion that
spam data can be shared between users (to a certain extent) while
ham data is user-specific. This example doesn't (to me) seem to
show that this isn't still a worthwhile goal to pursue...

Anthony