[Spambayes] Email client integration -- what's needed?

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn@whidbey.com
Thu Oct 31 23:09:27 2002

I'm really new to this as well, having only joined yesterday. (I did read Paul
Graham's piece a couple of months ago though.) I'm not a programmer, just a
stumbling system administrator, so my interests run in a different direction.

I currently am running MailScanner with SpamAssassin on a low-volume mail
server. I'd really like to have the Bayesian filter on the server instead of
SpamAssassin (or in addition, I suppose). I'd want to have two mail addresses
(one for spam, one for ham) that users could return messages to. I know the
ultimate precision of the system comes from having individuals do this for their
own mailboxes, but I think the community of users on this server is small enough
that we would get 99% of the benefit.

I could be wrong, but I think this would work for a lot of company servers,
probably for a lot of small ISPs as well, protecting thousands of users both
from Spam and the need to install tricky software on their machines.

Van

Robin Munn wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just joined the spambayes mailing list a couple of days ago and have
> been trying to skim through the archives. It looks like a lot of time is
> being spent on algorithm refining and not as much time on email client
> integration or end-user documentation. I'm a Python programmer who's
> currently unemployed (though the "unemployed" part of that might be
> changing soon, I hope), so at the moment I have quite a bit of time to
> contribute. I want to see a project that's useable not just by techies
> but also by computer-illiterate end-users. So I'm offering my services
> to write client integration code or documentation. I don't want to
> duplicate work that's already being done by someone else, so can anyone
> tell me what's already being worked on -- and what the most urgent TODO
> items are? Thanks.
>
> --
> Robin Munn <rmunn@pobox.com>
> http://www.rmunn.com/
> PGP key ID: 0x6AFB6838    50FF 2478 CFFB 081A 8338  54F7 845D ACFD 6AFB 6838

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted@whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,