[Spambayes] Deployment

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 12:23:33 -0400

    NS> Writing an IMAP server is a non-trivial task.

That's what I've been told by everyone I've talked to who's actually
tried to write one.

    NS> Alternatively, perhaps there could be a separate protocol and
    NS> client that could be used to review additions to the training
    NS> set.  Each day a few random spam and ham messages could be
    NS> grabbed as candidates.  Someone would periodically startup the
    NS> client, review the candidates, reclassify or remove any
    NS> messages they don't like and add them to the training set.

I think people will be much more motivated to report spam than ham.  I
like the general approach that copies of random messages will be
sequestered for some period of time before they're assumed to be ham.
Matched with a simple spam reporting scheme, this could keep the
training up to date with little effort.  I've sketched out an approach
a listserver like Mailman could do along these lines and if I get some
free time I'll hack something together.

I like the idea of a POP proxy which is classifying messages as
they're pulled from the server.  The easiest way for such a beast to
be notified of spam might be to simply save the spam in a special
folder or file that the POP proxy would periodically consult.

-Barry