[Spambayes] Deployment

Neale Pickett neale@woozle.org
06 Sep 2002 12:58:33 -0700

So then, Tim Peters <tim.one@comcast.net> is all like:

> [Guido]
> >   I don't know how big that pickle would be, maybe loading it each time
> >   is fine.  Or maybe marshalling.)
>
> My tests train on about 7,000 msgs, and a binary pickle of the database is
> approaching 10 million bytes.

My paltry 3000-message training set makes a 6.3MB (where 1MB=1e6 bytes)
pickle.  hammie.py, which I just checked in, will optionally let you
write stuff out to a dbm file.  With that same message base, the dbm
file weighs in at a hefty 21.4MB.  It also takes longer to write:

  Using a database:
   real    8m24.741s
   user    6m19.410s
   sys     1m33.650s

  Using a pickle:
   real    1m39.824s
   user    1m36.400s
   sys     0m2.160s

This is on a PIII at 551.257MHz (I don't know what it's *supposed* to
be, 551.257 is what /proc/cpuinfo says).

For comparison, SpamOracle (currently the gold standard in my mind, at
least for speed) on the same data blazes along:

   real    0m29.592s
   user    0m28.050s
   sys     0m1.180s

Its data file, which appears to be a marshalled hash, is 448KB.
However, it's compiled O'Caml and it uses a much simpler tokenizing
algorithm written with a lexical analyzer (ocamllex), so we'll never be
able to outperform it.  It's something to keep in mind, though.

I don't have statistics yet for scanning unknown messages.  (Actually, I
do, and the database blows the pickle out of the water, but it scores
every word with 0.00, so I'm not sure that's a fair test. ;)  In any
case, 21MB per user is probably too large, and 10MB is questionable.

On the other hand, my pickle compressed very well with gzip, shrinking
down to 1.8MB.

Neale