[Spambayes] understanding high false negative rate

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 20:00:14 -0400

  >> The false positive rate is 0-3%.  (Finally!  I had to scrub a
  >> bunch of previously unnoticed spam from my inbox.)  Both
  >> collections have about 1100 messages.

  TP> Does this mean you trained on about 1100 of each?

The total collections are 1100 messages.  I trained with 1100/5
messages.

  TP> Can't guess.  You're in a good position to start adding more
  TP> headers into the analysis, though.  For example, an easy start
  TP> would be to uncomment the header-counting lines in tokenize()
  TP> (look for "Anthony").  Likely the most valuable thing it's
  TP> missing then is some special parsing and tagging of Received
  TP> headers.

I tried the "Anthony" stuff, but it didn't make any appreciable
difference that I could see from staring at the false negative rate.
The numbers are big enough that a quick eyeball suffices.

Then I tried a dirt simple tokenizer for the headers that tokenize the
words in the header and emitted like this "%s: %s" % (hdr, word).
That worked too well :-).  The received and date headers helped the
classifier discover that most of my spam is old and most of my ham is
new.

So I tried a slightly more complex one that skipped received, data,
and x-from_, which all contained timestamps.  I also skipped the X-VM-
headers that my mail reader added:

class MyTokenizer(Tokenizer):

    skip = {'received': 1,
            'date': 1,
            'x-from_': 1,
            }

    def tokenize_headers(self, msg):
        for k, v in msg.items():
            k = k.lower()
            if k in self.skip or k.startswith('x-vm'):
                continue
            for w in subject_word_re.findall(v):
                for t in tokenize_word(w):
                    yield "%s:%s" % (k, t)

This did moderately better.  The false negative rate is 7-21% over the
tests performed so far.  This is versus 11-28% for the previous test
run that used the timtest header tokenizer.

It's interesting to see that the best descriminators are all ham
discriminators.  There's not a single spam-indicator in the list.
Most of the discriminators are header fields.  One thing to note is
that the presence of Mailman-generated headers is a strong non-spam
indicator.  That matches my intuition: I got an awful lot of
Mailman-generated mail, and those lists are pretty good at surpressing
spam.  The other thing is that I get a lot of ham from people who use
XEmacs.  That's probably Barry, Guido, Fred, and me :-).

One final note.  It looks like many of the false positives are from
people I've never met with questions about Shakespeare.  They often
start with stuff like:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> May I please take some of your precious time to ask you to help me to find a
> solution to a problem that is worrying me greatly. I am old science student

I guess that reads a lot like spam :-(.

Jeremy

238 hams & 221 spams
    false positive: 2.10084033613