[Spambayes] Ditching WordInfo

Neale Pickett neale@woozle.org
06 Sep 2002 22:17:28 -0700

So then, Tim Peters <tim.one@comcast.net> is all like:

> I'm not sure what you're doing, but suspect you're storing individual
> WordInfo pickles.  If so, most of the administrative pickle bloat is
> due to that, and doesn't happen if you pickle an entire classifier
> instance directly.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was doing--I didn't realize I was incurring
administrative pickle bloat this way.  I'm specifically trying to make
things faster and smaller, so I'm storing individual WordInfo pickles
into an anydbm dict (keyed by token).  The result is that it's almost 50
times faster to score messages one per run our of procmail (.408s vs
18.851s).

However, it *does* say all over the place that the goal of this project
isn't to make the fastest or the smallest implementation, so I guess
I'll hold off doing any further performance tuning until the goal starts
to point more in that direction.  .4 seconds is probably fast enough for
people to use it in their procmailrc, which is what I was after.

> If you're desparate to save memory, write a subclass?

That's probably what I'll do if I get too antsy :)

Trying to think of ways to sneak "administrative pickle boat" into
casual conversation,

Neale