[Spambayes] test sets?

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sun, 08 Sep 2002 03:48:28 -0400

[Tim]
> I'd prefer to strip HTML tags from everything, but last time I
> tried that it still had bad effects on the error rates in my
> corpora (the full test results with and without HTML tag stripping
> is included in the "What about HTML?" comment block).  But as the
> comment block also says,
>
> # XXX So, if another way is found to slash the f-n rate, the decision here
> # XXX not to strip HTML from HTML-only msgs should be revisited.
>
> and we've since done several things that gave significant f-n rate
> reductions.  I should test that again now.

I did so.  Alas, stripping HTML tags from all text still hurts the f-n rate
in my test data:

false positive percentages
    0.000  0.000  tied
    0.000  0.000  tied
    0.050  0.075  lost   +50.00%
    0.025  0.025  tied
    0.075  0.025  won    -66.67%
    0.000  0.000  tied
    0.100  0.100  tied
    0.050  0.075  lost   +50.00%
    0.025  0.025  tied
    0.025  0.000  won   -100.00%
    0.050  0.075  lost   +50.00%
    0.050  0.050  tied
    0.050  0.025  won    -50.00%
    0.000  0.000  tied
    0.000  0.000  tied
    0.075  0.075  tied
    0.025  0.025  tied
    0.000  0.000  tied
    0.025  0.025  tied
    0.050  0.050  tied

won   3 times
tied 14 times
lost  3 times

total unique fp went from 13 to 11

false negative percentages
    0.327  0.400  lost   +22.32%
    0.400  0.400  tied
    0.327  0.473  lost   +44.65%
    0.691  0.654  won     -5.35%
    0.545  0.473  won    -13.21%
    0.291  0.364  lost   +25.09%
    0.218  0.291  lost   +33.49%
    0.654  0.654  tied
    0.364  0.473  lost   +29.95%
    0.291  0.327  lost   +12.37%
    0.327  0.291  won    -11.01%
    0.691  0.654  won     -5.35%
    0.582  0.655  lost   +12.54%
    0.291  0.400  lost   +37.46%
    0.364  0.436  lost   +19.78%
    0.436  0.582  lost   +33.49%
    0.436  0.364  won    -16.51%
    0.218  0.291  lost   +33.49%
    0.291  0.400  lost   +37.46%
    0.254  0.327  lost   +28.74%

won   5 times
tied  2 times
lost 13 times

total unique fn went from 106 to 122

Last time I tried this (see tokenizer.py comments), the f-n rate after
stripping tags ranged from 0.982% to 1.781%, with a median of about 1.34%,
so we've made tons of progress on the f-n rate since then.  But the mere
presence of HTML tags still remains a significant clue for c.l.py traffic,
so I'm left with the same comment:

> # XXX So, if another way is found to slash the f-n rate, the decision here
> # XXX not to strip HTML from HTML-only msgs should be revisited.

If we want to take the focus of this away from c.l.py traffic, I can't say
what effect HTML stripping would have (I don't have suitable test data to
measure that on).