[Spambayes] hammie.py vs. GBayes.py

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sun, 08 Sep 2002 16:46:47 -0400

[Guido]
> There seem to be two "drivers" for the classifier now: Neale Pickett's
> hammie.py, and the original GBayes.py.  According to the README.txt,
> GBayes.py hasn't been kept up to date.

It seemed that way to me when I ripped the classifier out of it -- I don't
think anyone has touched it after.

> Is there anything in there that isn't covered by hammie.py?

Someone else will have to answer that (I don't use GBayes or hammie, at
least not yet).

> About the only useful feature of GBayes.py that hammie.py doesn't (yet)
> copy is -u, which calculates spamness for an entire mailbox.  This
> feature can easily be copied into hammie.py.

That's been done now, right?

> (GBayes.py also has a large collection of tokenizers; but timtoken.py
> rules, so I'm not sure how interesting that is now.)

Those tokenizers are truly trivial to rewrite from scratch if they're
interesting.  The tiny spam/ham collections in GBayes are also worthless
now.  The "self test" feature didn't do anything except print its results;
Tester.py since became doctest'ed and verifies that some basic machinery
actually delivers what it's supposed to deliver.

> Therefore I propose to nuke GBayes.py, after adding a -u feature.

+1 here.