[Spambayes] Results of playing with CDB

Tim Peters tim@zope.com
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 02:04:15 -0400

[Neale Pickett]
> I'm not sure a server would work for multiple users.  I have 80 users;
> at 20MB per server, that's 1600MB of RAM, which would require a new hard
> drive just for the swap :).  I'm sure it wouldn't be quite that bad if
> it was just one server for everyone, but in that case I suspect the dict
> would quickly become so large that it would no longer be practical to
> have it all in RAM, and then I'm back to dbm files.
>
> Of course, I could be missing some obvious implementation detail.  The
> spam database could be shared, for instance, if it was sufficiently
> attack-resistant.  In any case, speeding up the current implementation
> seems like a sufficiently low-hanging fruit for the time being, and
> hopefully will be useful work for a larger project.

Hmm.  When you say "a server", you seem to have in mind a shared machine
sitting in another room.  When I say "a server", I just have in mind a
process that usually sits idle, waiting for a client to ask it to do
something.  There's no rule against a server and client process running on
the same box, neither against each user running their own server process for
their own email.