[Spambayes] Hi - just got on the list....

John Draper crunch@shopip.com
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 02:24:33 -0700

Allow me to introduce myself...

  Being such a "public" person,  but reluctant to change my well known EMAIL 	address,  it's no wonder I'm  getting 2500 spam messages per week.   So about a year ago,   I solicited the help of spamcop in an attempt to reduce it to a dull roar,  and now realize I really needed something to fight off the constant ads reminding me how small a certain piece of anatomy is....

  I just found out about this list,  and have been working on a 100% way of identifying spam.   It's purely theoritical at this point,  and my programming skills are lacking,  but want to share this with others.

  My partner (who is very good programmer) wrote a MTA in Python (in just a half hour),  then I modified it to handle multiple threads,  and wish to use this as a base of a development of a "proof of concept" to see how well this might work.

  Right now,  I'm just trying to determine what's out there,  so want to participate in this list to see what the current anti-spam technology level is at,  and what you guys are doing.

  Being a python programmer,  I was surprised to learn so many people working on this project.

  As a result of my efforts to eliminate spam,  I have 33 megs of spam I've collected (About 6000 spam messages) over the past year.   I didn't save ALL of it,   as I've eliminated redundancy,  and can make them available if anyone wants it.

  I have them in a Mac Eudora Mailbox,  with I think is in "mbox" format,  but not sure.   If anyonw can use this,  let me know.

   Before joining the list,  I read all the archives to get up to date on the discussions,  and learned people were collecting spam messages.

   Anyway,  I'll be reading these messages with interest,  and might come in ocassionally to ask some questions...   but does anyone have any FAQ written up on some of these tools you talk about?    I want to read up on whats being done in the group first,  before getting on and asking lame questions.

Thanx Guys...

John