[Spambayes] Results of playing with CDB

Neale Pickett neale@woozle.org
15 Sep 2002 13:05:32 -0700

So then, Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> is all like:

> > So that basically eliminates one server process per user for me, and
> > probably for a lot of other people, too.  204 users would fill up all
> > addressable 4GiB on a 32-bit architecture.
>
> Neale, I'm not sure this calculation makes sense.  Each process has
> its own address space, which is limited to 4 GB.  I don't think it's
> written anywhere that the combined address space must also fit in 4
> GB.  It must fit in swap space, sure, but you can configure that as
> large as you want to.  Or not?

Oops, I was confused.  You're correct, the 4GiB limit ony applies
per-process.  So my argument isn't as strong as I thought :)

But I think the point is still valid--20MB per mail user is too much.
Anyway, I'm probably preaching to the choir at this point.  hammiesrv
will be coming right up.  Any objections to using XML-RPC as the
"protocol"?