[Spambayes] Moving closer to Gary's ideal

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 00:36:14 -0400

[Paul Svensson]
> Just a hunch:
> For the 'indifferent' words to make no difference,
> shouldn't x be set the same as the cutoff ?

You're welcome to test it <wink>, but I doubt it.  x is (in effect) the
spamprob given to a word during scoring when that word has never been seen
in the training data.  If the best cutoff value happens to be, say, 0.75, I
see no justification for saying that a msg with an unknown word has a three
quarters chance of being spam.  IOW, this seems to me to conflate unrelated
(or at best muddily related) issues.