[Spambayes] Practical applications

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 01:12:24 -0400

[Brad Clements]
> I'm thinking along this route too.. I have done a fair bit of
> integration with Exchange, Lookout, Pegasus Mail, Eudora ..
> NIMS/NetMail, Groupwise.
>
> They're all in my sites.. I'm just so sick of the amount of spam
> I get.. Now reaching about 70% of my daily messages (I get > 200 inbox
> messages a day.. And all my "lists" are in digest mode.. so you see
> I get a lot of spam)
>
> I'm a struggling small business with a passion for Python, I've
> never been able to afford a trip to IPC. Maybe productizing this could
> get me there along with a PSF sponsoring membership..  ;-)

It seems I get a lot more spam than you, and an ongoing irony in this
project is that I don't particularly mind it <wink>.  I would *love* a
gimmick that could use this software to give my Outlook 2000 a way to
shuffle suspected spam into a different folder, where "love" means I would
pay for such a product if one were available.  I'd pay up to $150.00 for
that.  OTOH, I wouldn't spend an hour of my preciously tiny "free time"
trying to figure out how to hook up to Outlook myself.

> Or, I could be sued for patent infringement   :-(

Note that MS's patent is on Vector Support Machine anti-spam technology.
We're not anywhere close to that, and Bayesian learning techniques have been
in the open literature for more than 40 years.

> I should spend less time on the free stuff, Python CE, Python
> NetWare..  Or go out and get a real job.

The older I get (and I'm not going to get *much* older <wink>), the less I
think real jobs are worth the distraction from what's really important --
like sleeping past noon because passion kept you up past dawn <wink>.