[Spambayes] RE: Further Improvement 2

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:58:02 -0400

    >> Ok, I just imported the email package into the spambayes
    >> directory.  I'll now go and update the various uses of the old
    >> API.  Of course, this relies on that the spambayes directory is
    >> on sys.path, so that it can find our imported email package.

    GvR> Um, is this the right approach?

Indeed, it may not be.  I was reacting to Tim's message but it's taken
me several hours this morning to catch up on email, so I missed your
anti-recommendation until it was "too late".

    GvR> I know I did that for heapq and sets, because they're not
    GvR> available in any other way.  But the 2.3 email package is
    GvR> available separately, and (I presume) will also be in Python
    GvR> 2.2.2 when it comes out in a few weeks.  I'm uncomfortable
    GvR> with including such a large amount of code that isn't really
    GvR> part of the project -- tracking the changes in the email
    GvR> package will be more work than I care for.

If we decide to backport email to Python 2.2.2 (see a separate thread
to mimelib-devel on this subject), then I agree we should cvsrm the
email package from spambayes.

As it is, we could still do that and just require spambayesers to
distutils install email 2.3.1, although you have to do some
contortions to get that to override the distributed email package in
Python 2.2.1 :(

-Barry