[Spambayes] Have you ever....?

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 23:33:22 -0400

[John Draper]
> Ever notice the random set of characters at the end of most spam
> messages these days?    Does anyone know what they are for?
> Perhaps these characters might be of use.   Are they some sort of
> checksum or signature?

Skip's right:  they're indeed random gibberish, to frustrate stupid "exact
match" filters.  Random characters often appear at the end of Subject lines
too, for the same reason.

All they do for us is bloat our database with random strings; it's one of
several reasons that a learning database needs a policy for "expiring" words
over time (else it would grow without bound).