[Spambayes] Latest spammer trick stymied

Richard Jowsey richard at jowsey.com
Tue Apr 1 06:47:23 EST 2003

> Won't this just convince spammers that:
> 1) Their spam is "working", because "people are clicking on the link",

Won't matter, coz I'm not buying anything, just slurping words. Let
'em count away, haha...

> 2) If there's a unique ID in the URL, it will confirm that your
> address is live and that you're a sucker for whatever it is they
> mailed you.  :)

More fools them. They've already got my address, and they'll keep on
mindlessly sending out junk no matter what...

> Of course, I also suppose it's possible that if enough people install
> a spam filter that works this way, the resulting "spambayes effect"
> might crash a few of their servers.  :)

Ha! I doubt it. They'll only stop doing this single URL trick when
it's not translating into sales.

The key point is that these little uglies appear to be specifically
designed to get past our kind of filtering, by dint of insufficient
clues in the email.