[Spambayes] IMAP

Moore, Paul Paul.Moore at atosorigin.com
Fri Apr 4 09:20:26 EST 2003

From: Meyer, Tony [mailto:T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz]

> >> There currently is no imap proxy in spambayes. It is a
> >> documented feature request, but nobody has picked it up as
> >> of yet. I think the problem (certainly from my point of
> >> view) is that imap servers to test against are not nearly as
> >> common as pop3 servers.
> >
> > I was going to have a look at this because I use IMAP, but
> > haven't got round to it, and quite probably never will.
>
> Just how high is the demand for an IMAP solution for spambayes?
> (Speak up!).

I keep toying with the idea of switching to IMAP for my mail, just
to be a bit more independent of any particular client. But I've
never actually done it, so don't count that as a vote in favour...

> I'm happy (as is TimS I think) to do the coding necessary since
> it's probably pretty similar to the pop3proxy stuff anyway,
> but (as we've both said) we don't have IMAP accounts to test
> against (anyone know of free ones from anywhere?).

Not accounts, but if you are on Windows, there are 2 free local
mail servers which I know of which do IMAP. These could be used for
testing.

   Hamster, at http://www.tglsoft.de/misc/hamster_en.htm
   Mercury, at http://www.pmail.com/

> If there are enough people who want it, and who will do the
> testing, then I'll still do the coding, although it'll be a
> much slower process than otherwise.

I could do some testing (although, as I say, I don't use IMAP at
present), but I don't have much free time, so it'd be limited.

Paul.