[Spambayes] Proxies everywhere

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Apr 7 10:48:21 EDT 2003

    Tim> Would seem to me to be useful to have starting the IMAP proxy
    Tim> simply be another parameter on the pop3proxy, just like the
    Tim> smtpproxy is.  The only problem with this is that running
    Tim> "pop3proxy" to get an imap proxy doesn't make much sense.

Oddly enough, the imap package on many Linux systems is what also provides
the ipop3d daemon:

    % rpm -qi imap-2000c
    The imap package provides server daemons for both the IMAP (Internet
    Message Access Protocol) and POP (Post Office Protocol) mail access
    protocols.

I learned this the hard way just a few days ago. :-(

    Tim> SO.... I propose renaming the pop3proxy to something like
    Tim> "spambayes", and make it more of a server daemon.  In fact, it
    Tim> could conceivable sport a hammiesrv interface, and become much more
    Tim> general purpose.  It could have -p, -s, -i operands for the various
    Tim> proxies, etc. etc.  What says you all?  It would be fairly simple
    Tim> to implement.

Why not sbproxy or spamproxy?  I like having "proxy" in the name as a clue
to the tool's general function.

Skip